Entry for the Swoop Books Spring 2021 Short Story Writing Competition, ‘Love Locks’.
Rules/Terms and Conditions
The following rules/terms and conditions for our short story competition must be followed.
Please read them carefully before submitting:
- Entries must be in English.
- Entries must be the original and unpublished work of the entrant. This includes publication online, including (but not limited to) personal blogs or websites. Each entry must not be currently submitted for publication, nor for any other competition or award.
- Each story must stay within the 2000 – 3000 word limit. This means any story up to a minimum of 2000 and maximum of 3000 words. The title does not form part of the word count.
- The closing date for entries is midnight (UK time) on the 31st May 2021.
- No corrections will be accepted, or refunds given.
- You can enter up to a maximum of three stories.
- £5 for each entry.
- Entries will not be accepted without prior payment.
- Manuscripts must be typed in a Word document using a clear font (eg. Times New Roman or Arial), 12pt, and double spaced.
- Manuscripts should have numbered pages, with a covering page which state the following:
- Story title
- Your name
- Your email address (If your entry fee comes from a different email address account, we strongly advise you also note that on your cover page)
- The cover page must be the first page of the whole manuscript document. DO NOT attach a separate cover page – your entry will be disqualified.
- Your manuscript document should be named with the title of your story, followed by your name in capitals ie: Title Of Your Story YOUR NAME.
Submitting your Short Story
- Entries should be submitted as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org as a Microsoft Word Document (.doc or .docx).
- If you are entering more than one story, each story must be submitted as a separate manuscript. Ensure your email address is on the covering page of every manuscript.
- We will automatically respond to all submissions to confirm receipt of your competition entry.
- Competition judges will be appointed by Swoop Books Ltd. The decision of the judging panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- If, in the opinion of the judges, enough stories of sufficient quality have not been received then Swoop Books is under no obligation to award any or all of the three prizes.
- All short stories submitted will be eligible to win one of our cash prizes. Contributions published in an Anthology will receive a paperback copy.
- When we publish a story, we ask for a relatively short period of exclusivity – 6 months – and the right to keep the story in print as part of an Anthology. As author, you retain the copyright.